Monday, February 27, 2006

Patty Fingers and Roller Skating

Ever since the dance I've been thinking about Minnesota. He is a fantastic guy. We would have so much fun together with all of our friends. I've just been recalling good times and happy moments which is always so great to do. Its a snowball effect. You start with one memory which leads to another and another and soon you got a wonderful buzz going on. A delightful euphoria of nostaglia. I've been wandering down memory lane for a while now ever since I saw him again so unexpectedly, and my mind always starts with the same moment in time.

When I was ninteen I had decided it was time to head out into the big bad world. I wanted to go to Russia but my mom just about had a stroke so we argued a little and I decided that just about anywhere was better than here so I set my sights on Utah. My friends here were mournful of my leaving and they had a going away party for me at our local roller rink. I Love to roller skate. I don't get a chance to do it very often but its great fun. Whenever I think of Minnesota I immeadiately think of roller skating. Because he was there at this party. We all had so much fun. Roller rinks are all about the same. Dimly lit, thumping music, disco lights, a general of smell of cornchips and stale popcorn and silly games and traditions. And always, always a couple skate. You weren't allowed to be on the skating floor unless you were holding someone's hand. I was crushing on Minnesota hard core back then so when he skated up to me looking all fine and asked me to skate I thought I was in heaven. What a moment. We held hands and went circles around the rink while listening to cheesy love songs. We laughed at our lacking roller skating skills but the most important thing is he held my hand. It was glorious. It was fantastic. Not only was I about to embark on one of the greastest adventures of my life but I finally got the attention of my crush and he was looking only at me.

Saturday I went with my family to visit my nieces, my brother and his wife. My oldest niece who I call Stinky had a birthday party at the roller rink to go to. Oh it brought back so many wonderful memories. I immeadiatly thought of Minnesota because whenever I think of roller skating I think of him. They even had a couples skate while I was there. This little boy that goes to preschool with my niece skates up and says " 'Stinky' Come skate with me" It was so adorable. She had such a hard time she hasn't skated very often yet. At the end when they were clearing the floor she was moving so slow that the rink attendant had to go rescue her because she was the only one left out there. She was moving her feet but hardly going anywhere. She had such a good time. She said she didn't even mind falling.

I love roller skating. I love the memories it brings to me when I think of it. Soon I'll have partner to walk down nostalgia lane. Minnessota coming in a few weeks to visit. He called late the other night to make sure I had the weekend off before he booked his flight. I am so excited. I love having things to look forward to. It'll be nice to visit and remember and recall all the wonderful times we had together with our friends. He'll remember things I may have forgotten or remember them differently. It'll be good times.

Miss M

No comments: