Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My Faith

This weekend I’m going someplace very sacred to me and I’m going to make promises to my Heavenly Father. Promises and covenants that will bless my life in countless ways. I am so very excited for this opportunity. It has taken me a long time to get to this point in my life and I am so very proud of myself. I never thought that I would be worthy of such a privilege. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I say that with conviction, courage and reverence. It is my faith it is a very big part of who I am and who I am striving to become. I love this gospel and the belief I have in my Heavenly Father’s love and in the love and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Before now I felt unworthy and I felt as if I was a disappointment to the privilege of being a daughter of my Heavenly Father and a regrettable member of His church, but I was mistaken. We are all His children and He loves us and knows each of us personally and individually. We are not loved as a group of His children we are loved and cherished separately and uniquely. We may join together in worship and faith as His children but we would be just as loved and He would have done all things for just one of us. What ever self esteem I may lack, knowing that I am loved in this way is often a source of great comfort and has recently and often times in the past been the only thing I thought I had that was worth continuing on for. I want to please my Heavenly Father and do the things that He asks of me because I know that all things are done for my good and my progression back to Him. I may not understand everything now in this life and it may take the eternities for me to learn it and get it right, but all he asks of me is to do my best and endure to the end. What better way to honor such love and faith in me but to strive to do my best to obey His words and to live my life after the example of His son and my brother Jesus the Christ the redeemer of my soul.
In my church when you are ready to enter the temple you are interviewed by worthy men of our church who have been appointed by God to be stewards of His children, these men help and guide and council us and they preside over the meeting houses and meetings. In these interviews they ask questions that are necessary to determine if you are worthy but to also see if you are ready to enter the House of the Lord, these sacred temples. After your second interview you are given a slip of paper called a recommend that you show at the temple to prove that you were found worthy. When I was handed this tiny slip of paper the feelings the washed over me were almost inexplicable. The Joy and the happiness that I felt were amazing. I felt as if every wrong I had committed had been forgiven, every hurt that I still carried healed, every sacrifice I had made to get to this point was worth it. Tears came to my eyes as the Spirit filled my heart with joy and wonder at this wonderful privilege. As I sit now and ponder these happenings I wonder, if it felt that great to just hold the piece of paper that proved my worthiness then how fantastic will be the day when I enter into His Holy House. How amazing it will be to be with the people I care most about in this world and then to covenant with my Father in Heaven that I will always do my best to follow Him, to sit in this holy and wonderful and beautiful place and feel His love chase away all the darkness all the hurts and pains and sorrows from my tired and mournful spirit, and to have His Spirit enlighten mine with the teachings of His perfect and wonderful gospel and of the Plan of Salvation. I am in awe of it all. My soul quivers in anticipation at the thought of it.
I have a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that I am a daughter of God. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and I know that Gordon B. Hinckley is a prophet of God today. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church. I know this and testify to you of these things in the name of His son, Jesus Christ, Amen.

I had some misgivings about sharing all of this with the world at large but I have nothing to be ashamed of or anything to be scared of. This is me and these are the things that I believe in and I want all the world to know of the things in which I have conviction of and the testimony I have of its truthfulness. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask me or go to www.lds.org and find out more.

Miss M

No comments: